Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Understanding the Nature of God's Thoughts


Part 1
I got into the presence of God today and just began to seek after Him for the manifestation of His word in my life; a distinct voice that I could discern as belonging to my Father in Heaven. The first thing that happened was I tried to rid my mind of its own thoughts. Every time a thought would pop into my head, I would literally try to chase it away. Doing so I hoped to accomplish the task of making room for God’s thoughts. And did that work? No, it did not. I actually just ended up laying in my bed with a blank mind!

Deciding to start over, I took a break then entered back into “meditation”. This time, I made a conscious decision to appreciate each thought that popped into my mind. I said to myself, if God made me that means He also made me to have my own thoughts and I should appreciate what He gave me. It is valuable.

Almost immediately, Isaiah 55:8 popped into my head, which says: My thoughts are not your thoughts. So, I began to differentiate the difference between my thoughts and God’s thoughts:
  • ·      My thoughts are sometimes imperfect
  • ·      God’s thoughts are a product of His unlimited knowledge of all things
  • ·      My thoughts and ideas are a product of the creativity and free imagination God has given me. (So much so, my actions can never keep up with the tons of ideas generated during my daily thought-process)

Part 2
As I began to think these things (and much more) about my thoughts and God’s thoughts and as I began to appreciate the freedom to think God has given me a parable in Matthew 25:23 popped into my head that reads:
His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; you have been faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things: enter into the joy of your lord.
After remembering that scripture, it finally dawned on me that until I learned to be faithful regarding my own thoughts, I would not be able to be “entrusted” with God’s thoughts. As I laid there understanding how much my thoughts were valuable to me I realized God's thoughts must be valuable to Him as well. And just as we don't always share our thoughts with people who we don't think will understand them, God probably doesn't either. A "prophet" is someone who God must believe understands His desires and the things He is passionate about. That is why He is able to use them to relay His words to others.

Laying there in meditation, I took note of all the things my mind wandered to. I realized that I mainly think about the things I love. My daydreams are actually my ideal version of reality. The people I think about are the people who affect my life most. I realized that I think most about the things I am most passionate about. That's what made me ponder; maybe God’s thoughts consist of the things He is most passionate about as well. 

Part 3
The next scripture that popped into my head was Jeremiah 29:11 which says, “For I know the thoughts that I think towards you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil.” Remembering that scripture made me realize two things:
  • # 1.     God thinks good thoughts towards His people. So that must be what God loves and is passionate about.
  • #  2.       If God’s word (from the bible) keeps popping into my thoughts, maybe the verses from the bible are one of the ways God speaks to His people.

These were two very simple things that I realized, but it made a profound impact on the beginning of my understanding of the mind of those who flow in the gift of prophecy.

It’s probably the reason why the bible says to those who have much more will be given and those who have little, even what he has will be taken away. When I saw my thoughts as a hindrance and as something that wasn’t valuable, I rebuked my own thoughts wishing they would go away. Yet, when I began to appreciate my thoughts it dawned on me that understanding and appreciating my own thoughts was the key to becoming entrusted with God’s thoughts:

When I saw my own thoughts as valuable, I received the internal promise that as I began to understand the relationship I had with my thoughts it would help me to understand the relationship God has with His thoughts; therefore, making me more in tune with the mind of God and becoming more deserving of having Him share His thoughts with me. Yet when I saw my thoughts as “little” I dealt with them foolishly and wanted to cast them away.

Before we can have the mind of God shared with us, we must be able to appreciate and understand our own.

No comments:

Post a Comment