Saturday, July 14, 2012

How I know God Speaks TO Me



As a pre-teen and teenager I recall being able to hear God's voice through songs. I remember the first time I realized as a teenager that God spoke to me in song. It was a simple, but surreal moment. I was on my way to school and I was very upset at something... everything, wondering the infamous question: "What's the point?". Then I realized I had a song stuck in my head. The lyrics were repeating over and over in my mind. I actually got irritated by it- You know how it goes when a song is stuck in your head. It's annoying. But when a song is stuck in your head when you're in a bad mood its ten times worse! So I stood there (outdoors) waiting for the train, on my way to school, and wondered Why is this stupid song stuck in my head. Its not like I even heard this song anywhere today. Asking that question, I examined what song it was and because of the fact that it was a "Christian" song my conscious ate me and I began to feel guilty.

But something just told me to examine the lyrics and I did: 
"Oh Lord my God, when I'm in awesome wonder I consider all the world Your hands have made. I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder; Your power throughout the universe display"
It was weird because up until that very moment, I never even understood, took time to understand or CARED to understand what that song was talking about. But at that moment as I paid attention to the lyrics and followed what it said, I considered the universe's display, looking up into the distance's landscape and I saw the majesty of God in the sunrise and the clouds and the trees. It was something so seemingly simple, but almost instantly I began to understand the reason behind the song-writers lyrics. 

Then, (just like the young girl in my previous blogpost) I felt as though I wanted to cry. There is nothing like knowing that God, or anyone for that matter, empathizes with you and cares and understands what you are troubled about. How did God know that I was in awesome wonder? How did God know that I was wondering "What's the point?". The way I felt at that moment was similar to the way the bible describes John and others, when they saw angels or saw a vision or encountered something majestic, they would fall and worship. It's not a decision to worship its a reaction of worship that comes from pure reverence and awe. That's why, I believe sometimes we can't help but cry when we experience hearing God's voice or having God speak to us through His word, songs or through others. When it's truly from God, it touches you in the most effective way possible and makes you stand in such amazement and awe.


Please Visit & "Like" my new Facebook Page. Thanks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment